Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Battling With My Curves

Looking around the gym this morning a thought occurred to me,
"What are we all doing here? What brings ALL of these people here?". Running, and cycling,jumping, pumping and crunching. 
What is it that we are fighting so hard for? 
The reasons behind one person's drive for fitness are so vastly different in comparison to the next. I couldn't begin to list them. The common denominator is a battle against the "bulge", a battle to whip our bodies in to submission. I find myself wondering why, for all the thousands of possible reasons. 

I can only answer for myself. I am here for the sake of my mind, having struggled for years with the ups and downs of depression and seasonal affective disorder, I am here to keep things in check. I can live without medication if I keep up a steady routine of physical activity. I am here for my health, with a family history full of heart disease, diabetes and cancer, I will do anything to lessen the chance that I might fall pray. I am here because it brings happiness to my life. I am happy and energetic and it would be a loss to go without those benefits. Lastly I am here for my younger self, the awkward, self conscious and shy girl I left behind me. I won't begin to tell you that I never feel self conscious, that would be a bold faced lie. There will always be days when I feel less than fabulous. I am comfortable in my skin, happy and proud of my curves. I admit to smiling at the discovery that my stomach is a little smaller, however I was horrified recently when I came to the realization that my chest was shrinking. Saying goodbye to my curves is not my aim, I aim to keep them! I want to be stronger, I want flexibility, and endurance. I want to run. I am lucky to have the ability to do so, so why not? Run, Walk, Dance, Jump. 

Someday I may not be so lucky. 

What are your reasons? What drives you to do the things you are passionate about? 

Another aspect of physical activity that mystifies me, is competition. Why are we so eager to compete with one another?
The competition is broad. We compete to see who can run faster, lift more weight, build more muscle, slim down faster, eat better, live better, who can achieve complete total mind/body perfection???!! Everyone is the expert, and you can't possibly be doing a better job of it than the next. 
Why? Must we "one up" our peers? Why don't we celebrate our personal best ? Can't we learn to cheer each other on? 
I would rather succeed and celebrate with someone. 

All of this reflection has me reeling. 
I pause, and I wonder if what I'm doing makes any difference to anyone else? How do I come across? Does it matter? I might just be another voice in the abyss, reaching out and hoping to be heard. I might also be a competitive kid on the playground
running, and jumping, screaming, "look what I can do, I can do it better, I can do anything you can do, I can do it better than you!" This is not my intention. You be the judge... 

My intention is to share my stories, what little wisdom I can bestow and all the inspiring and interesting content I happen to stumble upon. I can only hope that it's being met with open arms. 
*Crossing Fingers* I'll be your cheerleader, if you'll be mine. 

xoxo Erin 










2 comments:

Kristin Overton said...

I am that competitive girl. It's in my nature, I can't help myself. I've always had a need to do better, to one-up. I watch the numbers on the treadmill next to me and ensure I'm going faster & farther. I think that competition can be a healthy thing, but at the same time, anything in excess can be unhealthy. Eat too many carrots, and you body wont convert the excess beta carotene. Your skin will turn orange as your largest organ tries to excrete it!

On another note, your comment about being able to run and thus doing it: I remember doing the stairs (like the ones on the river in calgary) near our house in Edmonton a few years ago, and on my way down I noticed a gentleman who was headed up said stairs. I can't recall if he had a prosthetic, or a cane, or what it was, but his ability to walk was challenged. I remember thinking to myself that I was SO very lucky to be able to run up and down those stairs, as he could not. I was inspired, and definitely gave it my all for the rest of my workout that day. That day has stuck with me, and I call it to my thoughts some days when I'm struggling to haul myself up to go to the gym/a yoga class/for a run. After all, I've got running to do for the both of us <3

E said...

Thank you Kristin! I love a good response! I agree with you, competition can be healthy. I suppose for me, I don't feel the pull of the competitive edge because at this point I don't feel that I have a leg above the competition.. if that makes sense. I feel like the new kid in school.
I love your story about the man on the stairs. We really do have to remember that "WE CAN", we really are so lucky to have the ability to run, to walk, to swim, to dance. <3