Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good for The Soul Food - Experiments in my Boyfriends Kitchen.

Overdue. Here's another episode of Good for the Soul Food 
 Today's episode is brought you by the letter B for Boyfriend and his kitchen full of mustard coloured appliances. This week has brought me back to my love of cooking once again! I missed it. If cooking were a style of comedy, mine would be Improvisation, I rarely follow a recipe, and if I do it's used as a guideline, not a rule. I often add extra ingredients and more of the ingredients I love, and most often there is no recipe involved at all. This week is no exception, no recipes, just fun. Most of what I have been eating lately has been easy to make salads, veggies and meals already made at home (there is a certain amount of luxury to living temporarily with the parents, and they are so darn cute and fun to hang out with too :) love you both dearly) Random shout outs aside. I have managed to make two pretty awesome meals this week for dinner and both have been met with applause and an appreciative and happy Paul. It is nice to eat a dinner I have spent time on. PS. I have determined today that I rock the socks off being a girlfriend! I am so good at it. :) Some day I will make an even better wife. Right Paul? 




 Spaghetti Sauce - Ingredients: Tomato Sauce, Diced Tomatoes, Zucchini, Spinach, Half an Onion, Garlic Powder, Thyme, Basil, Oregano, 1/2 lb of extra lean Ground Beef and lots of Love.
Paul helped with a lot of this, he chopped the Onions and Zucchini


Spaghetti Sauce laid out on a bed of Mrs. Lepers Corn Noodles - Gluten Free! 


Chicken with a sweet sticky tomato sauce, Salsa, Ketchup, Basil, and a secret ingredient. A friend of mine gave me the recipe. 


My willing test subject Mr.Charlie Cauliflower - Soon to be Mr.Mashed Cauliflower


The Beautiful finished product! 
Baked Sticky Chicken, Grilled Veggies, and Mashed Cauliflower with a hint of Garlic. 
Ps. Mashed Cauliflower tastes amazing, and I'm told is a great alternative if you love potatoes. However.. the texture is something that is tricky to accomplish, I know I missed the ball on this one. 
My mashed cauliflower came out looking a bit like soggy laundry soap or cottage cheese.. but it tastes sooo good, so it was worth it,even Paul liked it! 


Paul's Mustard Coloured Appliances Exhibit A - The Stove, complete with three small burners and one large. This makes cooking with more than two pots or pans difficult but highly entertaining. 


Exhibit B - The Refridgerator
Very Classy and almost entirely comprised of condiments. Soon to be remedied, we are going grocery shopping this weekend :) 


Breakfast in St.Albert - Spanish Omelette and Tomatoes Yum!


Dinner made by Paul's Mom Emma,Yellow Rice, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinagrette and Ribs! So good! 


My lunch today - Spinach, Cranberries and Pumpkin Seeds (Forgot to bring dressing sadly) Cucumbers and Red Pepper Hummus 



Some drawings/writings I did while in St.Albert. :) 


That's all for tonight readers! More to come this week. Look for ... 
"Weekly Reflections" and updates! 

Happy Wednesday! 





3 comments:

Kristin Overton said...

I've found the key to smooth mashed cauliflower lies in a magic bullet. I'm sure a vitamix would be better, but alas one did not appear under the Christmas tree this year. Maybe my birthday?

Kristin Overton said...

p.s. I'm fairly certain you're going to need to do some art for me! I love your scribbles girly!

Shawna said...

Mmmm, those all look soo yummy!