Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Weekly Reflections - This Business of Life

It's been a few weeks since a "weekly reflections" post. 
Here's the dish. 

Work has been very busy and full of new challenges. 3 Clients is more than I expected. It's a lot of fun and I wouldn't trade it for anything, however the prevalence of vacations taken at this time of year is beginning to make sense. I want a get away too. 
My side projects have taken on a life of their own, specifically my art business. Art projects are coming out of the wood work! I can't be anything but happy about it, I wanted this. I thrive on projects and keeping busy. All of this productivity is leaving little time for a good solid workout, so it's time to crack the whip again. 

Cravings! Oy vey! I don't crave sugar often, I do crave Chocolate. I could eat chocolate endlessly. Not so much the crap chocolate bars from the grocery store, but a Dairy Milk with some nuts, or recently Dark Chocolate. I have never liked Dark Chocolate, why now? Why do I crave it? The rest of the sugar filled world means nothing to me, chocolate you are lovely. 
Salt is the lesser of two evils..I ate an unacceptable amount of Tortilla chips this past weekend. Salsa sweet salsa to accompany them. I love Salsa on a salsa actually. I must remember not to keep giant bags of tortilla chips in the house and save those for nights out and Nachos. Back on track this week. I have been enjoying some fabulous salads filled with seeds and nuts, cranberries and topped off with vinagrette! Yum! 
My favorite combination has been the concept of a sandwich in salad form, basically anything you would put in a sandwich mashed up in to a salad. Over the weekend I made a tuna salad, mixed greens, tuna, mustard, grapes... I know weird.. and some vinagrette! 


Weather. Calgary's weather forecast is known, and in fact infamous for changing in a split second. This winter is the perfect example. It has been warm and dry, fooling the inexperienced in to the false belief that spring has sprung! When you least expect it is unreasonably cold, windy and wildly sporadic storms take over. Fun right? I can't complain. We have been blessed with a good dose of sunshine and some days it is even warm enough to wear flip flops! The flip side,(hahaha punny) is the charming effect that a change in weather has on my mood.I am one of many many plagued with Seasonal Affective Disorder, it's very common. I won't bother you with numbers or statistics but here's the definition:

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is episodes of depression that occur at a certain time of the year, usually during winter

Symptoms usually build up slowly in the late autumn and winter months. Symptoms are usually the same as with depression:
  • Increased appetite with weight gain (weight loss is more common with other forms of depression)
  • Increased sleep and daytime sleepiness (too little sleep is more common with other forms of depression)
  • Less energy and ability to concentrate in the afternoon
  • Loss of interest in work or other activities
  • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement
  • Social withdrawal
  • Unhappiness and irritability
The symptoms don't all fit. But that's the consensus. I have been lucky this year, winter has not defeated me. The sun has been a god send and consistent workouts keep the my mood swings at bay.
The crazy weather has made motivation hard to come by, some days are better than others. When the roads are bad and traffic is worse it's really hard to push for a trip to the gym. When it's gray and grumpy outside, it takes a toll on my mood, the gym is the last place I want to be. Once I get there, once I am in that head space it is an entirely different story. The last few weeks it has been miraculous to squeak in a workout, honestly and unashamed. I haven't given it my all. Tonight it's back on, going to Zumba! The dancing and the music are always a good pick me up.
On that note.. I will have to cut this one short. It's time for me to go pick up Paul from work. I'll post again tomorrow. Until then. Keep smiling, because the sun is shining :)
Much Love











No comments: