Monday, November 19, 2012

#3 - Find a Cheer Squad #confidentyou - Response Series

 Challenge #3 - Find a Cheer Squad
 http://www.sugercoatit.com/day-3-find-a-cheer-squad-confidentyou/

Suger says and I quote:

"Find people who love you. Or think you’re ok at least. And tell them of your mission for more confidence. This alone will take something. Telling people that you are working on your confidence takes admitting that it needs work. I’d always been quiet good at putting on a brave front. A plastered face of confidence that people rarely saw through but the truth was that I was terrified, panicking and sick." -sugercoatit.com

Truer words were never spoken. 
I have always been very very good at putting on the brave face, smiling and putting on the show. The song and dance is always the same, my cheery disposition and ridiculous nature are what people have come to expect. So sometimes even when I'm not feeling so cheery, I put on that show. But deep down, under the surface, I am afraid, and feeling awkward, and at times even a little depressed. I can't make conversation without stumbling over my words. Encountering another human being at a time like this is daunting, and brings on anxiety. The onset of these feelings is brief and fleeting, it's rare. Thankfully it never lasts for more than a month or so. The problem lies in the fact that it happens at all, that sometimes, for a month or longer I feel anxious,
socially awkward,frustrated,sad,down,blue,shy,ugly,overwhelmed... the list could go on. Why? Why does it happen?
The problem is that it does, and I don't always know why. 

This is where the cheer squad comes in, a group of people that you know you can count on, you can talk to, people you can turn to no matter what, the people that take you for you and embrace you whole heartedly. These people are the net that you fall in to. I am very fortunate to have many people I can turn to in times of need. My family is a close knit and endlessly loving and supportive one. I am blessed with an amazing extended family and friends who are family. I have a close circle of friends, each one I share a unique bond with, and I know I can talk to any of them at the drop of a pin. For me it's all in learning to talk, learning to tell the people I love that I need to work on me. It's very hard to admit when I'm a mess. 
It's even harder to tell someone else I'm a mess. 

So from here, my mission is to talk, to tell those near and dear to me when I'm not feeling 100% myself, to reach out for love and support when I need it. Because we are not alone in this. I need some work, I need confidence and sometimes I need some one to stand by me, and hold my hand.

Who do you turn to? 
Who is your cheer squad?
Are you honest with yourself and others when things aren't as they should be? 



No comments: