Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Adventures in Flailing - My First Zumba Class

Well ladies and gentleman, I participated in my first ever Zumba class yesterday and I loved it!
For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about when I say the word Zumba here it is for you: 

 Zumba® – When participants see a Zumba class in action, they can’t wait to give it a try. Zumba classes feature exotic rhythms set to high-energy Latin and international beats. Before participants know it, they’re getting fit and their energy levels are soaring! There’s no other fitness class like a Zumba Fitness-Party. It’s easy to do, effective and totally exhilarating, often building a deep-rooted community among returning students.

Quoted from the Zumba Fitness website located here:

So that's Zumba essentially. An intense 1 hour class full of a range of dance styles, moving to an amazing mix of international music and club music. I loved every minute of it. I love to dance! anyone who knows me well can tell you that. However I am an amateur in the biggest sense of the word. First of all my body has no rhythm for dancing, and my arms and legs do not coordinate their efforts well. I looked a bit like a confused and flailing child. Once I managed to get the salsa steps in chorus with everyone else the class had move three steps ahead of me. When I did land a move, I looked up from my feet and grinned ear to ear, expecting someone to give me a sticker or a high five. 
I also take up a lot of room when dancing, I dance like I mean it. I was trying with every fiber of my being to get the steps right and in turn almost knocked over the poor woman beside me, thankfully for my sake she had a sense of humor and laughed right along with me. If Zumba were a children's dance class I would be the kid spinning in circles in the corner and making wild arm movements, saying look Mom I can dance! Did I mention the instructor taught us an entire dance routine from the movie Hairspray ? I am sure of it, the song, the moves! Too funny! I laughed and smiled along with huge sighs of frustration. Most importantly I felt amazing afterward, pouring with sweat , but amazing none the less. I even took time after the class to get in some strength training and a little cardio cool down on the Elliptical. I would recommend Zumba to anyone who enjoys dancing and a fun, intense workout, whether you can dance or not. Zumba again on Saturday! I think yes!

Much Love 
Erin 




No comments: